At Hinman, Howard & Kattell, we recognize that the construction industry faces unique legal challenges. We bring an integrated team of attorneys from our corporate, litigation, real estate, labor and employment, employee benefits, environmental and land use practices to the table to meet those challenges.
Before your project starts, we are experienced in obtaining regulatory approval for projects, including handling requests for zoning variances and obtaining environmental clearance. We can also assist with obtaining financing, preparing bids, securing proper bonds and insurance, and negotiating, drafting and reviewing contracts and subcontracts.
While construction is ongoing, we provide advice regarding government inspections and citations, labor disputes, and how to handle disputes that arise while meeting contract requirements and mechanic’s liens.
We are also experienced in construction litigation, mediation and alternative dispute resolution. Typical construction disputes that our Construction Law Practice Group handles involve: non-conforming or defective work, extra work or change orders, delays and accelerated work schedules, site condition discrepancies, wrongful termination, and liquidated damages.
Our services include assistance to public and private owners, general contractors, developers, subcontractors, suppliers, architects, engineers and sureties with:
- Selection and retention of the project management team
- Construction procurement
- Selection of the design and construction management professionals
- Development of a process for soliciting requests for proposals
- Purchasing or leasing of real property
- Environmental quality review compliance process
- Zoning and land use issues
- Public and private construction financing
- Labor, employment, and OSHA compliance
- Negotiation and preparation of design and construction contracts
- Administration of public bidding
- Construction phase trouble-shooting
- Preparation, filing, discharge and administration of mechanic’s liens
- Audits of project closeout documentation
- Contract termination, whether for cause and/or convenience
- Administration and enforcement of surety bonds
Our Construction Practice attorneys have been retained by other law firms concerning their clients’ disputes and appointed by the courts to act as mediators and arbitrators in construction matters.