In response to the growing demands of our corporate clients, Hinman, Howard & Kattell has developed the specialty practice areas necessary to enable complete and effective representation in virtually all aspects of business. Our Intellectual Property (IP) practice represents a broad variety of industries, with clients ranging from large corporations to individual inventors.
Hinman, Howard & Kattell has the capability to serve our clients at every stage of intellectual property development, protection, and enforcement; from ground floor IP management — including assistance in developing IP strategies and portfolios — to the process of obtaining intellectual property rights, all the way through to licensing and enforcing rights of ownership.
Our services include:
- Managing IP, including assisting our clients in formulating IP development and maintenance strategies that will best serve their business interests and advising clients as to the risks and benefits associated with particular IP ventures.
- Filing and prosecuting patent, trademark, and service mark applications, as well as copyright applications, in the United States and foreign jurisdictions.
- Maintaining patent, trademark, and service mark portfolios.
- Performing and analyzing patentability searches to determine strategies for patent prosecution.
- Performing searches on proposed trademarks and service marks to determine availability for use and registration.
- Enforcing and litigating patents, copyrights, trademarks and service marks in state and federal courts, as well as handling all Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) proceedings, such as reexaminations, reissues, interferences, cancellations, and oppositions.
- Preparing invalidity and non-infringement opinions regarding patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
- Drafting and negotiating license, assignment, manufacturing, research, and joint development agreements regarding intellectual property management.
- Preparing and negotiating software and telecommunications technology licenses.